Powered By Blogger

Monday, October 15, 2012

Love


 Corinthians 13; If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteriesand all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,[b] but do not have love, I gain nothing.
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in partand we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes,what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.
13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
The last couple of weeks have had love on my mind, at the forefront, centre and back or maybe I should say subconscious. Either way, I have been thinking about this emotion a lot. This thought was inspired by a couple of women in my life (Nameless, Beauty, Ms. Bellz, Kim Possible and finally Hurricane (Hurricane might be my next girlfriend if I don’t fuck up, which am already doing). It’s not a morbid thought full of hatred and malice, but a very confusing and all consuming thought. I like Hurricane loads but on Friday I got plastered and told her I love her about a hundred times and made it very clear that I wanted to be with her (The alcohol clearly had a lot to say) but when I woke up on Saturday, I could not believe I had said it and had to consult my heart further on the matter (and they say alcohol makes you honest? It makes you talk more but doesn’t make you any more honest than screaming shit off a roof top does). I had to go back to the beginning of love in my life. I started with the love for me I have and much as that maybe shouldn’t be a benchmark for my ability to love, I used the basic principle that to love others and be loved, one has to love themselves. If the love I have for me is anything to go by, I am clearly not likely to find anyone to love me as much as I love myself. But then again, I don’t expect anyone to love me as much as I love myself. After all, I come first to myself and I expect everyone comes first to themselves. Th problem is not them loving me, its me loving them. Do i really have that kind of love to give to anyone?
Back to the love, looking back on your individual relationships, can you really say that the love you have is like the one described in the bible?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello, I simply wanted to take time to make a comment and say I have really enjoyed reading your site.